Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Peony - when in full bloom, it symbolises peace and prosperity

The peony is among the longest-used flowers in Eastern culture and is one of the smallest living creature national emblems in China. Along with the plum blossom, it is a traditional floral symbol of China, where the Peony is called 牡丹 (mǔdān). It is also known as 富贵花 (fùguìhuā) "flower of riches and honour" or 花王 (huawang) "king of the flowers", and is used symbolically in Chinese art.
-Wikipedia

牡丹 (mǔdān), also known as 富贵花 (fùguìhuā), blooms in the spring, producing large, colourful and often scented flowers, which can be pink, red,white, yellow, blue, black, purple and coral.

Interestingly, the rice paper (宣紙)and the Chinese colour ink is able to produce very nice shades and depths of colour with every stroke. I was very enchanted by the way my teacher's drawing strokes, the colour and perspective of his painting came alive instantly.

I tried with my very first attempt, my painting seems dull in contrast with what the desired results.


As I fall in love with the richness of Peony, I set my mind to see if I can improve my painting of 富贵花 (fùguìhuā), here are some paintings after a few more practises.








Then my teacher pointed out the leaves look identical for all my paintings, with that note, I tried to correct them, and with more practises, I became more confidence with my own strokes and able to handle the brushes better, I think my painting becomes nicer and more radiant. I do hope that the difference is significant. 





I am now able to paint Peony confidently after many weeks of practising. The following are the my 2 favourites paintings:



More of my Peony will be posted as this is a flower that I will like to muster my skills to draw better.







No comments: