Friday, September 27, 2013

The humbling experience in Chinese Painting

I realised that this journey of learning how to paint has been very humbling.

For a long time, there isn't many people will dare to tell that I have done something incorrect.

While I am enjoying the learning process of painting, largely because I was able to regain my new interest to pursue painting. Just recently, a long time friend ( a class mate in my secondary school) also complimented that my paintings are nice and have a tint of western (water colour) style. Also there are friends who paid for my paintings as I told many of them that they can sponsor my community outreach project in Laos by buying my paintings! Many of my friends also commented and liked my postings of my paintings over Facebook.

These actually for once took me to 'Cloud Nine'!
I thought that my drawings have reached a certain 'standard' and started to dream that I can succeed and become an accomplished artist soon!

When I showed my teacher Mr Lin Luzai the painting of my Heavenly Bliss in our last lesson, although he did said the colour was right, but there were flaws. He patiently shared his experiences co-relating to what nature actually is in contrast to my paintings. Although the technique is known as 'spontaneous' form of Chinese brush painting, the perspective and 'logic' of the contend must not deviate from what is being offer in nature.

A revelation that we have not been observant to our mother nature, and that I am too self-centred (that I am already there) brings me back to this world!

我才意识到这个学习如何画画的旅程非常令人谦卑。

长期以来,如有我做了一些不正确的决定,也没有多少人敢告诉我。

虽然我很享受学习绘画过程中,这主要是因为我能够重新找回自己想追求绘画的兴趣。就在最近,有个老朋友(在我读中学的同学)也称赞我的画很不错,色调有西方(水彩的颜色)风格。也有朋友以赞助我在老挝的社区外展项目买我的画!我的许多朋友也通过Facebook中意我的画。

实际上,这些已经将我带我'到‘达九霄云外'!

我幻想,我的画已经达到了一定的'标准',并开始梦想,我很快能成功并很快成为一个多才多艺的艺术家!

当我拿给老师林禄在先生评这幅画时,虽然他说颜色光泽是正确的,但也有许多瑕疵。他耐心地分享他的经验,讨论有关的自然现象。虽然这技术是所谓的写意画,但也必须根据形式,透视和“逻辑”的角度,必须不偏离大自然的规律来发挥。

这个启示,让我了解到我们还没有细心的观察我们的大自然,而我也过于以自我为中心,这经验将我带回了这个世界!还要多多练习。





This is life! 
When someone didn't dispute your thoughts, it does not mean you are right. For many of us who are in a supervisory role, your subordinates may not dare to dispute your viewpoints, but that does not make you 100% right.

In analogy to my painting experiences, my friends are surprise that I can take up painting and starting to make sense of the colours and mustering of the brushes and the rice paper. Their encouragement are in the form of liking my posting of Facebook and blogs, most of them will view it in one dimension, from someone who once have no clue of using a paint brush to someone who can 'abstractly' paint a complete picture!

For me, this is a lesson learnt that irregardless of how great one can be, there will be someone greater, no matter how good you are, there will always be someone better than you. There is no need to feel that you are at Cloud Nine, as there are always new lessons to learn from someone.

这就是人生!

当没有人质疑你的想法时,这并不意味着你是正确的。我们当中有很多都担任监管角色,你的下属可能不敢质疑你的观点,但是,这并不代表你是100%对的。

对于我来说,吸取了这一个教训,无论你有多伟大,也将会有人比你更了不起,不管你是多么好,总是会有人比你更好。人生是没有必要感到你位于九霄云外,总会有向别人学习新的经验和教训。一山还有一山高啊!






No comments: